•   Contact

Home Results Sustainable Performance Day-to-day operations Chain responsibility

Chain responsibility

Amsterdam Airport Schiphol is the operator of the airport. The operational requirements, and thus the most important requirements for carrying out our socio-economic function, are laid down in the Aviation Act. This act stipulates that we promote optimal use of the airport as a high-quality hub of national and international air traffic, taking into account to the limits that apply with respect to safety and the environment. The act also stipulates that Schiphol provides the facilities needed for the proper handling of the air traffic and the associated transport of people and goods at the airport.

In our capacity as operator of the airport, we have a coordinating role. We are proud to collaborate with numerous companies and organisations within and outside the airport area that want to take the lead in the field of sustainability. Together, we have been able to take concrete steps towards increasing the sustainability of the Mainport and improving the appeal of the region. Schiphol strongly aims to continue this development together with its partners and suppliers.

Schiphol requires Corporate Responsibility to be an integral part of the business operations of its suppliers. It is an important criterion in our purchasing processes. The five socio-economic themes to which Schiphol aims to contribute are leading in this respect. It is crucial that partners in the chain call each other to account. Corporate Responsibility is stimulated by constructive dialogue. More information on this topic can be found in the section Stakeholders.

The central procurement department of Amsterdam Airport Schiphol selects the suppliers from which the business areas may purchase products and services. A key requirement is that current and potential suppliers consciously exercise Corporate Responsibility. This policy is included as a selection criterion in national and European tenders.

In 2012, we prepared a suppliers code for our largest suppliers. These are the suppliers from which Schiphol purchases 80% of its products and services. By signing this statement, suppliers indicate that they are aware of the importance of Corporate Responsibility for Schiphol and will act accordingly. The procurement policy describes the framework and rules for purchasing activities, also with regard to working conditions. Specific agreements are described in the underlying contracts. In the event that a supplier does not comply with the agreed framework, the contract can be terminated.

80% of all purchased products and services are supplied by some 45 suppliers and the remaining 20% are supplied by more than 1,300 suppliers. In 2012, 70.7% of our total purchase volume was supplied by companies that consciously exercise Corporate Responsibility. In 2011 this was 66%.